Friday 24 February 2012

Slumming it Station Style

You know you're slumming it when a horse tub becomes a bath tub. Our solar hot water service is currently on the brink. I was hoping it would be fixed by the time I returned to the station but alas it was not. So we've been braving pathetic, tepid showers but this morning I drew the line. I couldn't fix the hot water system myself so I came up with an alternative.
I was up at the crack of sparrows this morning as at half past seven we had to head over to the neighbours and I was not going over there dirty from yesterday because my bravery for cold showers had waned. So in the dark I headed over to the shed to where all my horse gear was parked and lugged a horse tub back to the house. I positioned it in a nice litte spot on the verandah and slowly filled it with the garden hose whilst boiling the kettle 4 times. It was cramped but quite nice.
I got to enjoy the morning like no other person who had ever passed through Providence ever had. Not even Skye.
The first caretakers when Providence was still at the beginning of being developed had a little girl. There was no house when they first came here, just haybales to block off the nasty winter wind. Showering for the adults was cold water coming out of a poly line but for Skye it was a warm bath in an esky filled with the water warmed on the fire. My friend who was out visiting there at the time said she was very jealous of Skye and her esky. I don't blame her!
But my little horse tub was slightly envious too. As I sat in the warm water I got to watch the sunrise cover everything with a soft, yellow glow. There was a rainbow arching across the Western sky from the rain we'd had all night. I got to watch the wallabies loiter around the house paddock nibbling on grasses, the ibis' fly over on their way to the dam and the plovers chirp on the front lawn.
Though it wasn't long before my peace was interrupted. The phone rang. It was our neighbour asking us to hold off coming over till 10am when the roads will be more dried out. Hmm, I have more time to kill! So I boiled the kettle again and got back in the tub. This time the chook came to visit me (ultimately she wanted her morning feed of bread) and Damian crawled out of bed and laughed at me. Finally the water grew cold enough for me to want to get out.
All clean and not one bit cold, until the hot water service gets fixed properly I think I'll keep slumming it in my horse tub!

No comments:

Post a Comment