Friday 16 March 2012

Here Comes The Rain Again

Seems there's no rest for the skies as over the last 23 days there has only been 4 days without precipitation. Cyclone Lua brought the latest falls with an average of an inch a day. In town waiting for something to come through that never did, I gave up waiting and headed home. Damian was worried I wouldn't make it back but me and my bravado knew I would. It had drizzled and rained on/off right across the Top End for three days and Damian described the skies as another England. I didn't care, I was over town and wanted to be home.
The trip in it drizzled from the moment I hit the bitumen and didn't stop. On my way back I got one extremely light drizzle in one area and nothing else. I pulled up at the beginning of our driveway and put the wheels in lock and put the car in four wheel drive and of course, in true "Tigger could take over" style... put my seatbelt back on.
The bombing range was no worries. Even the gilgi wasn't that full to pass through. I could actually see sections of the road unlike the last time that it was up.
Damian met up with me in the station toyota (nice to know that he isn't asleep on the couch while I'm on my way home) at the bombing range/Dilinya boundary.
"She's a bit deep back there", he stated referring to Forrest Creek. As I approached the creek I lowered the gears down to second and eased my way in. Definately higher than I had ever seen it before but I pressed on. Halfway I had to drop down to first as the old boy struggled through a soft, deep spot but he soldiered on and soon we were through. I crept along in second looking back in my rear view as I watched Damian cross. The water went over his bonnet and he struggled through the same spot in the middle as I did. The second creek crossing wasn't as high as the first but coming out the otherside we had to veer around the neighbours vehicle parked there just in case they don't make it back across when they return.
Being stuck in town meant I missed celebrating Lacey's birthday on time. Yes, I'm weird, celebrating my dogs' birthday but hey, each to their own. I put up some decorations I had made for her earlier when I got home and baked her a mince and egg "cake". She thought her little cake was the greatest thing and whoofed it down.
In the morning I got up and for the first time in a long time, Lacey got up early with me. I pulled on my sneakers and we set off for my morning walk. She skipped and sniffed her way up the driveway while I strolled along. The rain we'd been having each day caused some parts of the driveway to be so slippery that I was losing my footings. If it was slippery for me I would hate to imagine a vehicle trying to get down it. On our way back Lacey found a crab which had come out of the ground from the rain. The first one she had ever seen. Fascinated by it she kept sticking her nose in it's face till it got annoyed enough that it raised its claws which is when I thought it best to call her away before she ended up with a nip on her nose.
Over the last 4 days Providence has recorded 97mm of rain. Not near as much as other places but certainly enough to make things interesting while at the same time grinding work to a halt.

No comments:

Post a Comment